Would you like a health check to prevent problems with your health?
Are you interested in improving your quality of life?
You may be eligible for a health assessment.
What is a health assessment?
A health assessment is a comprehensive assessment of your physical, emotional and social health.
Why should I have one?
Undertaking a health assessment can help identify issues early so you can get the help you need to manage them. It also provides you with an opportunity to raise any concerns you may have, and is a good time for your nurse and doctor to identify other health checks you may be due for according to your age or medical conditions, to keep you feeling well.
What is involved?
You will initially have a consultation with one of our experienced nurses followed by a consultation with your doctor. Your nurse will ask you general questions about your health and wellbeing. They will perform some simple tests such as measure your blood pressure, weight, height and waist circumference, and assess if you are due for any immunisations or other tests. They will provide you with some education and make a list of recommendations to discuss with your doctor. Your doctor will then see you, undertake any further checks and discuss recommendations provided by the nurse.
Who is eligible?
People who live in the community, have a valid Medicare card and fit into any of the following categories:
- Aged 75 years or older
- Aged 45-49 years old who are at risk of developing chronic disease
- Aged 45 years or older and wanting a check of their heart health
- Aged 40-49 years old with a high risk of developing type 2 diabetes as determined by the Australian Type 2 Diabetes Risk Assessment Tool. Take the test here to see if you are eligible. If you get a score of 12 or more, you will be eligible for this health assessment
- Have an intellectual disability
- Are Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- Are a Veteran who has recently left the Australian Defence Force
- Are a recent refugee or other humanitarian entrant who has arrived in Australia in the past 12 months and has a specific visa type (one of our nurses or doctors will be able to advise on these).
How often can it be done?
This will depend on the type of health assessment you are having. Your nurse or doctor can provide further information on this.
How much will it cost?
There is no out of pocket cost for the health assessment as long as you hold a valid Medicare card.
Where do I need to go?
The health assessment can be done in your medical centre if you are eligible.
What do I need to do?
If you are interested in having a health assessment, please speak with your doctor or a member of our nursing team. They will answer any questions you may have.
To book an appointment, contact our friendly reception team. On the day of your appointment, please bring any medications you may be taking and your Medicare card.